Alternative treatment for MCS include:
1. Detoxification programs These are detoxification programs involving a lot of exercise and sweating, as well as chelation of heavy metals. Oral chelation is a popular mode of detoxification, which helps to improve health and nutritional status by replacing toxic metals with essential elements. This form of therapy uses chelating agents such as ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA) to tightly bind to heavy metals and remove them from the body, usually through urine. The concern with chelation therapy however is that chelating agents are not generally specific and as such it is possible that essential trace elements can be removed as well as toxic metals.
2. Nutrition MCS sufferers are sometimes advised to avoid all suspect foods, which may trigger certain symptoms. It is thought that MCS sufferers have a higher likelihood of nutritional imbalances, particularly deficiency in magnesium. Intravenous infusions of vitamins and minerals such as, vitamin C and B vitamins, magnesium, and trace minerals, can have significant therapeutic benefits.
3. Drugs such as antihistamines and steroids.
4. Immunotherapy is sometimes used as a mode of treatment to help sufferers develop a tolerance for certain allergens. This is carried out by injecting small amounts of many allergens just beneath the skin of the patient; however, tolerance may not develop for months or even years.
Tips for success – Full assessment, including nutritional, neurological examination and selective skin tests
– Peak flow monitoring
– Keep a symptom and cause diary to monitor triggers
– Eliminate all toxins from your home
– Choose only unscented natural skin care and cosmetics
– Use natural detergents and cleaning products
– Replace all your cleaning products with a natural product range
– Remove all man made and chemically treated carpets and soft furnishings and replace with unbleached organic alternative
– Use organic pure cotton bedding for comfortable fume free nights
– Wear unbleached natural fibres, particularly close to your skin
– Avoid all processed foods